Vol 8 No 1

Dedicated to the memory of

Monty McFadden



Winter 2005-2006

Holiday Shopping Made Easy!!!

Check out GRRI's new gift items for the Golden lover on your list!


Front Page

Features in this Issue:

2005 Reunion

Reunion Photo Gallery

Remembering Monty

Goldstock

Annual Rescue Parade

Holiday Hazards

Brittany’s New Year’s Wish

Happy News

Fond Farewells

Letters to GRRI-NJ


GRRI NEWS Archives


Visit Our Website

Email Us

Shop With Our Partners

Shop at the GRRI-NJ Store


Click Here to Subscribe to The Online GRRI News
It's FREE!

Subscribe to the Print Edition GRRI News $15/Year


GRRI-NJ's web site design and maintenance is made possible entirely by donated services.
Please report any errors to the
Webmaster
Copyright 2011 GRRI-NJ.  All Rights Reserved.

 

 

'tis the season


Archie Urna

The holiday season is here! Along with the good cheer and good times that the holidays bring, there are also some potential dangers to your dogs that you may not be aware of. Help protect your friends!

The treats that humans find irresistible can be equally attractive to our pets, but far more dangerous. Chocolate can cause seizures and death in dogs (and cats) if enough of this sweet confection is consumed. Signs and symptoms of a "chocolate-poisoned" dog include: vomiting, diarrhea, hyperactivity, and possibly seizures. If you suspect your dog has eaten chocolate, call your veterinarian or emergency clinic immediately. Untreated, the dog could lapse into a coma and die. Being the scavengers that they are, dogs will jump at the chance to eat candy wrappers and lollypop sticks left at their disposal. Ingestion of any of these items can cause a blockage in their digestive system resulting in possible surgery and costly medical bills.

How can you resist those big brown eyes as they stare pleadingly at you for a piece of turkey or a spoonful of stuffing with gravy? Resist the urge to prepare a plate for the dog. All those rich ingredients will most likely result in bouts of vomiting and diarrhea since the dog’s stomach either can’t digest what it has eaten or can’t tolerate the high levels of fat in the food. Additionally, stuffing often contains onions, which are toxic to dogs. An "onion-poisoned" dog will show signs of listlessness, difficulty breathing and pale gums as the toxins destroy the dog’s red blood cells, resulting in anemia. And don’t forget to cover the turkey carcass when you all sit down to eat. Goldie will probably sneak out into the kitchen and try and make a meal of those turkey bones and we all know what that can mean. Splintered bones lodging in the dog’s throat, stomach or intestines is not a pretty thought.

In addition to the food hazards outlined above, tinsel, foiled-wrapped chocolates, plastic-wrapped candy canes and popcorn garlands are all enticing treats for your dog. Even the ribbons adorning your holiday gifts are potential hazards to your dog. Dogs cannot digest tinsel, ribbon or the string that the popcorn is strung on. These items can get lodged in your dog’s digestive system, causing blockages that must be surgically removed. Vomiting, lack of appetite and abdominal pain will occur.

Many young dogs will also chew on electrical wires, resulting in a severe shock if they manage to chew through the insulated covering.

Plants like Poinsettias and Mistletoe are also poisonous, causing stomach upset. Signs and symptoms of a "plant-poisoned" dog include: foaming at the mouth, diarrhea and vomiting.

Call your veterinarian if you think your dog has been eating the plants.

We all know how Goldens LOVE people. However, even Goldens can get overwhelmed by an endless stream of visiting relatives and guests. Give your dog some quiet time. Designate someplace where your dog can go to escape from the crowd and nap.

Best wishes to you and your dog for a very happy - and safe - holiday!!

 



The current time and temperature in New Jersey is